Friday, June 20, 2014

Five Things to Celebrate the Day the Marriage Amendment Passed

Written by Allison 

I have written elsewhere that I am an "obnoxious optimist".

So, it should come as no surprise that the day after the motion on the Marriage Amendment was approved and a portion of our church is mourning (and while I mourn with those who mourn), I choose to celebrate as well.


First ... 

The gal on the left is Eva, one of Beaver-Butler Presbytery's commissioners, a ruling elder.

The fellow on the right is our Young Adult Advisory Delegate (YAAD), whose name is Josh.

At the end of the evening, Josh carried Eva's heavy laptop bag back to the hotel for her. And it's not the first time he's done it.

I celebrate that the Presbyterian Church is raising and nurturing a young man like Josh.





Second ... 

These are mandalas--an interactive way of praying through coloring.

(Yes, their history is not originally Christian but we in the Church are pretty good at adopting, baptizing, and re-purposing the traditions of others. You know, like Christmas and Easter.)

Coloring a mandala is one of my favorite ways to pray. And I know that I was not the only one who was praying yesterday. I have no doubt that the Assembly has been filled with prayer, soaked in prayer, blanketed in prayer.

I celebrate that the Presbyterian Church is serious about prayer ... even when what I prayed for doesn't happen. (It's about what God wants, not what I want anyway, right?)



Third ...

At the end of the day, this song overflowed from the speakers and 248 red beach balls were batted around from commissioner to commissioner, celebrating the birth of 248 new worshiping communities since the previous General Assembly (2012) when the 10 year goal of 1001 was originally set.

For those who are most concerned about the gospel being shared to the ends of the earth, here is good news for you! I celebrate that the Presbyterian Church is committed to creating new communities of faith where the gospel of Jesus Christ is being shared.

Fourth ...

I celebrate that THIS is still the first chapter of our Book of Order in the Presbyterian Church. 

"The good news of the Gospel is that the triune God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--creates, reforms, sustains, rules, and transforms all things and all people." 

"God has put all things under the Lordship of Jesus Christ and has made Christ Head of the Church, which is his body. The Church's life and mission are a joyful participation in Christ's ongoing life and mission are a joyful participation in Christ's ongoing life and work." 



Fifth ... 



When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


I celebrate that even though the Presbyterian Church doesn't always do what I want it to do, Christ has still regarded my helpless estate and shed his own blood for my soul. No vote of the General Assembly can change this, for which I am deeply grateful.  

Still "abounding in hope,"
Allison

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your abounding hope, Allison! You encouraged me. My Aunt is in your Presbytery. Glad you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words! Who's your aunt???

    ReplyDelete