Wednesday, June 11, 2014

3

(Written by: Allison Bauer)

THREE. DAYS. LEFT.

Suitcases are being dusted off, snacks are being purchased, and last minute questions are being asked ... even if it is taking a while to get some answers! 

Soon and very soon PC(USA) commissioners and advisory delegates (PLUS legions of support staff and volunteers) will begin the journey to Detroit for #ga221. 

But it's not just those chosen by God and elected by their Presbyteries who are preparing for GA. Even folks who will be watching from afar are preparing and reflecting. 

Jack Haberer (editor of The Presbyterian Outlook) has written an editorial entitled, "In the Lions' Den" which describes our philosophical identity as Presbyterians and historically what has been important to us. 

Haberer adopts the story of Daniel being thrown into the lions' den and the miraculous "shutting" of the lions' mouths as a narrative for #ga221. 

(Did they fall asleep? Were they knocked out? Did they turn into over-sized housecats? What happened??Inquiring minds want to know!)   

Part of our heritage as Presbyterians is speaking truth to power, like Daniel spoke truth to King Darius. He writes, "Where some other churches shun all matters political, we read the biblical commands both to love neighbors and to break chains as requirements to engage the public square." And, "We Presbyterians also have been people of superior education, of high scholarship and often (but not always) of profound wisdom." 

These days, I'm not so certain the Presbyterian Church has the kind of clout that Daniel had though--he held a position of great power in the king's government and so had the king's ear on many matters. The PC(USA) may have at one time had that same sort of power and influence, but our influence is waning as our reputation for being such bitter disagreers grows. How effective is our voice today? Will the overtures calling for letters and petitions being written and sent to the President, the Congress, and the Senate really do any good? 

With God, all things are possible, I suppose. (But we're certainly not helping much, though.) 



I do wholeheartedly agree with Haberer that approaching #ga221 DOES indeed feel a bit like bearding the lions' den, particularly for those of us who would identify with a moderate to conservative theological and political perspective. 

As part of the ever-shrinking minority, I wonder, "Is there still a place for me at the table? Do I still have a place in the PC(USA), the only church I've ever known and loved?" 

The part of me that is a firm believer in human depravity assumes the worst and pessimistically says, "Forget it, Allison, 'cuz there's no way." 

But the obnoxious optimist in me--or rather, my faith in the Holy Spirit to do that which seems to be impossible--persists. 

  • I want to believe there IS room for me (and my minority opinions) at the table; 
  • I want to believe that my service and faith and convictions ARE valued by my church, even if we don't always see eye-to-eye on things; 
  • I want to believe that we commissioners can work together (perhaps in certain cases despite the denomination's recommendations) and pass overtures that unite, rather than divide, the Assembly; 
  • I want to believe that God's will is for us to figure out a way through this mess we've made for ourselves and come out with a stronger faith in God and in each other on the other side. 

Am I daring and bold (and crazy) enough to ask you to pray that God will create this avenue for me and for others who share the same convictions as I do to speak truth to power ... knowing that sometimes you get exactly what you pray for? *gulp* 

Perhaps the better question is: are YOU daring and bold (and crazy) enough to actually do it, to pray for such a thing as this??

No comments:

Post a Comment